Tuesday 18 May 2010

Edyta Szalek: A Dream of the Green Eyelids (Sen Zielonych Powiek)

Isn’t it a guilty pleasure to tuck yourself in a blanket on a sofa with a cup of nice tea on a pleasant evening with a good book. It is my guilty pleasure at least. And some books make you just re-fill that cup of tea until the sunrise the next morning. This is one of them.

The story is nice and engaging – it’s a story of a woman in her mid-thirties I’d say who is reasonably successful in her job in a clothes production company. A story that could probably describe the lives of most of us. But the story isn’t what’s the most important here. It’s the feelings and emotions that accompany it in every step of the way. That different point of view, the honesty of opinions and the strength to talk about things that are not always considered “normal” in public terms make it a distinctively nice read when compared to other books of that type (I mean women literature – though this term sounds a bit demeaning for this book).

I love books that you just can’t put away and that you reach for with a great sense of pleasure and excitement and this is definitely one of them. The only downside of it is that it ends and I am now worried the next book I read won’t be as exciting…

My rating:
YYYYY

4 comments:

  1. Dear Madame,
    I´ve got these words today, at midnight from someone I love very much. And you know why? Because today is a premiere of my newest book... Yesterday I was falling asleep and I was thinking that nothing makes sense, that as longer I write as less valuable I am. Kind of weak moment I guess... And then these word came: somewhere there is someone who reads your book, with cup of tea, what more you want?
    It is true. It is everything. I don´t want more.
    So, I take your words as a sign :) hoping that my next books: Kamieniczka and today released Lowcy Wielorybow will not disappoint you ;)
    Wish you very best, warm thoughts from Norway, Edyta Szalek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing more flattering than a comment from the author :) I got Kamieniczka from my Mum when she came over to visit a few weeks ago but my little baby hasn't really allowed me to find time to read non-baby books yet. But come Christmas and I hope I can take that blanket again and make a cup of tea and enjoy Kamieniczka as much as Sen Zielonych Powiek. And I can't wait to get my hands on the new book as well! I hope it's another success and I hope you'll soon start the next one.

    Thanks for your comment Edyta :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wanted to email you but can't access your details so here it is.

    What I wanted to say is that your comment caught me in a tough moment too. Probably the thoughest since my little girl was born 3 months ago. And I realised I'm not the only one doubting whether what I'm doing is right and that I need to keep pushing even when I feel helpless. You shouldn't doubt yourself and I try not to either.

    Best of luck with the premiere of the book, I really hope it goes well. I'm sure it will given all I read in your Zwierciadlo essays and the above book.

    Hugs from England.

    PS. If I did find your email I would have probably written it in Polish too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. edyta@etphotography.eu. :)
    I am at work that's why I am short ;)

    ReplyDelete